Until the 1980's, most of the South Derbyshire village of Ticknall in The National Forest was owned by the Harpur Crewe estate. It still has the character of an estate village and enjoys an unspoilt countryside setting. A lodge and lime avenue lead the way to Calke Abbey (National Trust), former home of the Harpur Crewes. The lionshead cast iron pumps and Corsican pines scattered through the village are other features provided by the family, who also were responsible for the alms houses built in 1772. Brickmaking and limeburning were big business in Ticknall in the 18th and 19th centuries and the brickyards and limeyards were connected to the Ashby Canal by an early tramway of c1802, whose course can still be traced. The tramway crossed the A514 via the well-known landmark known as "Ticknall Arch", and was carried under Calke Park in a cut-and-cover tunnel.